Sunday 19 January 2014

Day 0 : Procedure Time (Part 2)

Just before lunch, and while the nurses were working on dividing the grafts from the strip, Dr Ilker started creating the holes or channels where the grafts were to be implanted. The needles were sharpened (I watched as he did it), and shown to me - everything was explained to me as it was happening.

I forgot to mention the music! This is maybe a silly thing to mention, but during the procedure Dr Ilker played some really cool music. One album of Leonard Cohen covers, a live one of Julia and Angus Stone and some other cool stuff- it really made me feel relaxed. We also shared a few jokes about this and that.

The channel opening took about 45 minutes and was preceded by more anaesthesia being applied. Again, quite painful but it obviously meant that there was very little pain when the channels were being made. It sounded a bit like crunching snow. Any time I felt a sharp pain, Dr Ilker applied more local anaesthetic which helped.

After that, I was cleaned and sat up gradually - then given a plate of BBQ chicken for lunch and watched something on my iPad. Lunch lasted quite a bit longer than I thought it would have done, but there was a lot of work to do and the nurses needed to take a break, too.

Mid-way through the lunch break I started to get quite bad pains in the back of my head and felt a bit unwell. I told the nurse, who immediately gave me a painkiller. I don't know what it was, but it kicked in and within half an hour I was fine again.

Planting the grafts is a long and laborious process and took three nurses over three hours to complete. Later that day I found out I'd had almost 5,000 grafts implanted-  the second largest procedure ever carried out in that clinic.

It was painful from time to time - I guess because the anaesthetic had worn off in parts over the lunch break, but they were ready to apply more to my scalp whenever I wanted it (itself quite a painful thing, I have to say). Eventually at 1930h we had finished.

I nearly fell off my chair when the nurse said to me, "just one more injection". Having had so many through the course of the day, that was the last thing I wanted. At least this one was on my bum cheek, and -though somewhat undignified - didn't hurt nearly as much as the others. Taner told me afterwards that this one was a way of 'making you forget about the pain of the day'. It didn't do that, exactly - but it was probably some kind of morphine derivative.

I was given anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, pain killers, shampoo and some moisturising foam. Oh, and another 10mg diazepam. My head was bandaged, and I was bundled into the car and taken home. It was a long day but, I hope, worth it.

The following days were pretty pain-free. I'd expected to be flat out on the sofa watching rubbish films, but I was able to work and concentrate really easily, without any pain. The clinic had drawn out a day-by-day schedule of drugs and coming in for hair washing, which I stuck to religiously, even though I didn't feel I really needed the pain medication. Everything was really clear, and despite having a head full of scabs, I was very pleased I'd gone through it all. 

1 comment: