Sunday 19 January 2014

Day 1 : First washing

Day 1 and I went into the clinic for the first washing. This was done by the nurse for me, and without the use of any shampoo. Because grafts are easily detached from the scalp in the first few days it's important to be very gentle. Nothing can touch the recipient area (within reason), the donor area can be shampooed properly after day 3.

The exciting thing was finding out how many grafts were extracted and transplanted. Initially on the morning of the surgery Dr Ilker had told me that he could expect at least 3500 and maybe up to 4500. The more we could get, the further back he would go in my crown - starting at the hairline and working back. In the end, we got almost 5000 grafts!


Even better, most of the grafts were two or three hairs. Meaning a total of 11990 hairs. Not bad for a day's work! And Dr Ilker said he'd left quite a lot of area free at the sides for further FUE if necessary at a later stage (certainly not before 1 year).


Swolen head! White bandage was taken off on this first day, and from then on I wore the black headband to reduce swelling moving further down my face.




No comments:

Post a Comment